Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI) spoke against American universities on Thursday for disciplining students who engaged in anti-Israel protests on their campuses.

In a post to X, Tlaib wrote, “From UM to Vanderbilt to USC to Columbia, students across our country are being retaliated against for using their constitutional rights to protest genocide. It’s appalling.”

Tlaib’s post was in response to a post by Rep. Ilhan Omar’s (D-MN) daughter, Isra Hirsi, revealing that she was suspended from New York City’s Barnard College for protesting against Israel at Columbia University’s campus, where she and other protesters lay tents around parts of the university’s campus, violating school rules.

“I’m an organizer with CU Apartheid Divest @ColumbiaSJP, in my 3 years at @BarnardCollege i have never been reprimanded or received any disciplinary warnings. I just received notice that i am 1 of 3 students suspended for standing in solidarity with Palestinians facing a genocide,” Hirsi wrote.

“Those of us in Gaza Solidarity Encampment will not be intimidated. We will stand resolute until our demands are met. our demands include divestment from companies complicit in genocide, transparency of @Columbia’s investments and FULL amnesty for all students facing repression,” Hirsi wrote in a follow-up tweet.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) weighed in on Hirsi’s post to question Barnard College’s decision.

“What is going on here @BarnardCollege @Columbia? How does a student with no disciplinary record suddenly get to a suspension less than 24 hours after a nonviolent protest? What merits asymmetric crackdowns on Palestinian human rights protests?” she wrote, failing to acknowledge that Hirsi and other protesters were repeatedly warned to leave the school premises.

In addition to the suspension, Hirsi was arrested alongside over 100 protesters at the anti-Israel protest that Thursday. A photo published by the New York Post shows her being paraded onto a New York Police Department while a video obtained by the outlet reportedly shows her grimacing as officers in riot helmets put her in cuffs.

She was released around 9 p.m., even though a NYPD source told Fox News that she will face trespassing charges.